How to Survive Online School

Liam Gamache, Writer

This switch to online school this fall at McAuliffe has been has been jarring for some students, which is why in this article we will go over some essential tips to survive online school.

First of all, to make sure you can stay on track during online school, it’s important to keep your room organized and ready. Make sure you have space for your books and binders to go in and have a space cleared for writing down stuff in the binders. For the first few days, it can be tough to juggle your supplies especially if your desk is in your bedroom. The other room organization tip that can be very beneficial is to have a calendar schedule somewhere on your desk. This can be very helpful for knowing how much time you left in class, how much time until your next class, and what classes you have on certain days. You can also use this calendar to keep track of due dates much like a planner that is propped up for you to see at all times. 

The second thing you can do to improve your remote learning experience is to organize your files and create bookmarked tabs. For example, you can create bookmarks by pressing the star at the top right corner of your screen to create a shortcut to that website. You can use this to create shortcuts to websites that you visit frequently such as amplify or google drive. This can really help your workflow, and if you bookmark your different classes it will make it a lot easier to transition. Also, organizing your files in Google Drive can ensure that you are on top of any assignment by making them easier to access and save.

Finally, the last component of online school is of course the zoom call,and more importantly the zoom breakout rooms. Although breakout rooms are a pretty neat solution for online group work, they do come with a few hiccups that can be helped with these tips.When you get to the breakout room, you may find that no one can start talking! The rule of thumb for this to wait about 5 seconds before starting the conversation yourself. It’s important when doing this to introduce yourself so that you can verify who can talk and who is using chat by their response. Once you’ve started the work/conversation, if you notice anyone not talking, don’t immediately assume the worst. First ask them if they have any input to give, and if they don’t respond to that, try asking them if they can talk, or if they can use chat. If they are still unresponsive, call a teacher if you think it is needed, but most importantly don’t let them drag you down and just continue your work with the rest of the group. 

Finally, after all is said and done, make sure you say goodbye.