Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson

Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson

Felix Hillhouse, Writer

The Miami Heat have unexpectedly become one of the best teams in the league. Thanks to spectacular leadership by Jimmy Butler and the emergence of Bam Adebayo as a star, the Heat are one game away from the NBA finals. Even though lots of the Heat success has been from these two players the importance of Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson can not be understated. They have different paths to where they have gotten today but they both seem to contribute similar aspects to the team.

Duncan Robinson always dreamed of a division one college scholarship, so he went to an AAU summer circuit to try to prove himself. He never received the offer he was looking for in a big DI school but got an offer to a division three powerhouse in WIlliams. He did get offers from some small DI schools but ultimately decided to go with Williams. After a stellar freshman season for the powerhouse he started receiving better division 1 attention. He became very interested in the University of Michigan.Robinson was very interested in the University of Michigan head coach Beilein. He developed an under-recruited player in Nick Stauskus and turned him into a first round pick. WHen Robinson contacted him however, he was denied a giving Robinson the scholarship he was looking for and only offered him a walk on opportunity. A week later Beilein said Michigan was considering giving Robinson a scholarship. After a visit to Michigan and a few other schools Robinson decided to commit to the University of Michigan. He played with the Wolverines for two seasons(one redshirt year) and was seen as a sharpshooter shooting over 40 percent from three in both of his years as a wolverine. Robinson was undrafted but came to a 2-way contract deal with the MIami Heat. Due to injuries to the roster Robinson was able to make the opening day roster. Otherwise his rookie season was uneventful mostly staying in the g-league but dominating there. The next season he signed a contract with financial incentives if he stayed on the roster long enough and bulked up 15 pounds. With the added weight he blossomed to become one of the most lethal shooters in the NBA any team would die for.

Herro on the other hand made the NBA a more, traditional way. Although in high school he was seen as a villain. He was recruited nationally and first decided to commit to his hometown school the University of Wisconsin. That did not hold up though as he revoked his commitment and decided to go to the University of Kentucky, a division one basketball powerhouse. Herro had many haters in his high school basketball career but took on the role of a villain. He took the hatred like a champ and pulled through a spectacular senior season. He played one season at Kentucky playing spectacularly amassing national attention gaining honors of All SEC and SEC all-freshman honors. This incredible production led him to getting drafted by the Miami Heat in the lottery.

Herro and Robinson have played big, although not the most flashy, roles in this Miami Heat offense. Robinson, the more dominant off-ball shooter has become one of the most lethal shooters in the NBA. Herro, still a lethal shooter, is the better player with the ball. WHen he has the ball he can score really well still not just being a catch and shoot player. But basically what the two provide most to the offense is their shooting ability and offensive presence. This has opened up lanes for players like Jimmy Butler and paint space for Bam Adebayo. True room for the stars. Something a team like the Philadelphia 76ers desperately needs to add to their team. The duo might not have the best defensive capabilities but their contributions on the offensive end more than makes up for that. The two are still, relatively young 26 and 20 and improving. The Miami Heat look like they have a bright future to come with these two young rising stars.