Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett

Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett

Zoey Holmquist-Kuhn, Writer

In a neighborhood called Hyde Park in a city called Chicago, two sixth grade students are drawn together by a strange and confusing mystery that has affected all art lovers in their community. A famous painting by artist Johannes Vermeer was stolen while on the way to an exhibition at the Chicago Art Institute. The kids take the case but don’t realize how far the case will take them. 

This mystery novel is full of surprises and hidden clues, even in the pictures. Every clue however random is connected and every detail counts. It is a ball of yarn, however tangled it may look, there is an end and a beginning, you just have to get from one to the other. The unique, yet similar personalities of the main characters Calder and Petra make them the perfect crime solving team. The different perspectives of the characters combine to make a hooking story with a mysterious twist that keeps you turning the pages. Depending on the reader’s prior knowledge about art and the Chicago neighborhood everyone can get something different out of the book, maybe even learn a little. Blue Balliett’s unique and magical writing skills will amaze you and her wonderful use of storytelling and mystery will leave you wanting for more.