Miami Dolphins Perfect Season

Fifty years ago, history was made when the Miami Dolphins completed a perfect 17-0 season by winning Super Bowl VII in Los Angeles. Despite several teams coming close, the perfect record has stood the test of time and the 1972 Dolphins remain the only team to complete an undefeated season in NFL history.

In its newest episode, ESPN E60 examines what made that team so good and how the undefeated season unfolded.

Many words are thrown around when talking about the ‘72 Dolphins. “Undefeated” is naturally one of the most common. But to the players and coaches who were a part of that squad, there is a word that carries with it a deeper meaning, takes it one step further, and rings as true as it ever has even 50 years later: Perfect.

In more than six months of filming, E60’s Jeremy Schaap interviewed 17 living members of the ’72 Dolphins, as well as opponents and members of the media who covered the team. The list includes Pro Football Hall of Famers Paul Warfield, Larry Csonka, Larry Little, Bob Griese, and Joe Namath. On the 50th anniversary of the Dolphins’ Super Bowl VII victory, they reflect on how perfection happened, and how the coach, Don Shula, was able to take a team that was the worst in the league just a few years earlier and turn it into, as Csonka says, “The Perfect Machine.”