Will Students Go Back to School in October

Ethan Murch, Writer

At first, almost all students were happy to hear the news that school might be closing because of this new virus called COVID-19. We heard that there would be remote learning and we didn’t think we would mind. But now, a lot of people just want to go back to school. That might happen in October, if Denver Public Schools doesn’t change their mind. Here is what they are saying now: “Based on data and guidance we received from our local health experts, DPS will extend remote instruction from the start of school on Aug. 24 through Oct. 16, which is the end of the first quarter of the school year for many schools.” This means that we might be going back to school from October 21 and onward (they said it won’t be until 21) unless COVID-19 spikes up again, or anyone in the class catches the virus. This is very exciting, but has downsides. McAuliffe says that there will be 35 kids max in a classroom and they will be sitting there all day long. The good part is that they are ending at 2:00 PM, but only for in-school people. When we are in school, we will still be attending on Zoom, just in a classroom, so it is more for the people who don’t have a stable internet connection or if they don’t have the electronics to do their work.