Keeping Busy in Quarantine

Parker Reitze, Writer

People as we know have been doing whatever they can in self isolation to stay busy. Some of the biggest ways people have been staying busy is online websites and apps. Some of the top 5 apps in the U.S.A in 2020 include, TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, Disney+, and Netflix. The overall most popular app among teens, is TikTok which has over 100 million users who turn to the app with their boredom. 

In 2019, the average human spent 3 hours and 40 minutes on a screen each day. In 2020, the average human spends around 9 hours a day on a screen. With everything happening with Covid-19, school being online, camps, activities, and sports being shut down, there is not much else to do. So, when students are finished spending their 5-6+ hours of online school, their habit is to check their notifications on Snapchat, scroll through TikTok, constantly having their eyes in front of a screen. 

On the bright side, people have been able to develop a handful of new skills. For example many have taken up learning a new language. 1.2 billion people are currently learning a new language, and research shows that learning a new language can do things like boost your memory and critical thinking skills– which is overall is engaging and good for your mind.

How are you spending all your free time? Do you think you have gotten anything out of being home all of this time?

.