The Shooting Of Luis Garcia

The Shooting Of Luis Garcia

William Tucker, Author

A 16-year-old East High School student was Shot outside the Denver school On Feb. 13, 2023.

Luis Garcia was inside a car at East 17th Avenue and Esplanade, just north of the school, when he was shot on Feb. 13 just after 2:30 p.m., police said. Two teenagers were arrested shortly thereafter but neither was charged with the shooting. The case is still under investigation and there were no updates as of Wednesday afternoon Feb. 28, a police spokesperson said.

The East High soccer team, of which Garcia was a member, organized a fund me campaign to raise money for his medical bills and family And has raised More than $150,00! He was confirmed dead by the Doctors yesterday March 1, 2023, and Is having a memorial on Thursday all of the East students were putting flowers around the front E of the school. The memorial included flowers and keepsakes that students brought to remember their classmate who was described as caring and loving. 

The Shooting has sparked a movement among students at the school to initiate a conversation with community leaders, school administration and police about safety and gun violence. East Students Demand Action is hosting an event Friday in light of all of this violence happening in the community. Denver Mayor Michael Hancock issued this statement on Thursday: We need to work together as a community to come up with solutions, and more importantly, a message and actions that demonstrate we will never normalize this. 

All In all this shows why there should be stricter  laws around who gets the guns and if they have a criminal background or  are under the age of 20 they do not allow you to get the gun. It is horrible what is happening to young innocent kids who do not deserve to worry about dying when you are leaving a place that is supposed to be used to learn. There needs to be change about how and why you got a gun. There is a march happening on Friday March 3, 2023 To try to make this law in place and keep it long term so that the U.S.A stops these horrible unfair killings. 

LET’S MAKE A CHANGE!!